Bahrain Population 2017


The small island country of Bahrain sits off the western shores of the Persian Gulf. The Zagros mountain range in Iraq causes low level winds to fall across Bahrain, which has a balmy atmosphere due to its island location. The Bahrain archipelago boasts an approximate 330 differing species of birds. A broad biodiversity exists in Bahrain; gazelles, hedgehogs, sea cows and even coral reefs thrive in this area.

The estimated 2017 population of Bahrain is 1.49 million people. Bahrain is the 155th most populated country in the world.

Bahrain has an estimated population of 1.49 million, up from the official census population of 1.23 million in 2010. Bahrain is very densely populated with 1,627 people per square kilometer (4,213/square mile), which ranks 7th in the world. Bahrain is the 4th most densely populated sovereign state on earth. The only sovereign states that have a greater density are city states. The northern region of Bahrain is so densely populated and urbanized that it is often considered a single massive metro area.

The largest city in Bahrain, and also its capital, is Manama. Manama has a population of about 157,000 people and a metro population of 330,000. It is an important center of trade and business within the Persian Gulf. 89% of the population is currently urbanized, and the annual urbanization rate sits at 1.8% consistently.

Bahrain Demographics

At the 2010 census, Bahrain's 1.2 million population was made up of 568,000 Bahrainis and 666,000 non-nationals. Most of the population is Middle Eastern, although there are many people from South Asia. The largest expatriate community in Bahrain is Indians, numbering about 290,000.

Shia Bahrainis are the majority of the population with two main ethnic groups: Ajam and Baharna. The majority of Shia Bahrainis in the country are Baharna, while the Ajam are ethnic Persian Shias, who have large communities in Muharraq and the capital, Manama.

Sunni Bahrainis are mostly urban Arabs (or al Arab) or Huwala. Urban Arabs in the country are mostly descended from Sunni Arabs from Arabia. They account for the most influential ethnic group in the country with most positions in the government. The Huwala are descended from Sunni Iranians, Sunni Persians and Sunni Arabs.

Arabic remains the predominant language in Bahrain; Persian and Urdu are also spoken, which are the national languages of Iran and Pakistan, respectively. Religious affiliation in Bahrain is currently 70% Islamic mostly Shia Muslim, with a remaining 30% of varying faiths. Native Christianity exists in Bahrain, mainly through the Greek Orthodox Church. While Bahrain is unwilling to accept Syrian refugees at this time, Sri Lanka and Pilipino immigrants have migrated to Bahrain in a consistent manner. Arabian/ Muslim ethnicity remains the primary make-up of the population.

Bahrain Population in 2018Source: Wadiia

Population Data via United Nations WPP (2015 Revision, Medium Variant)

Bahrain Population Growth

Bahrain's population is expected to remain fairly stable over the next few decades and continue its steady 1% annual growth rate.

About Bahrain

Official NameKingdom of Bahrain
Languages SpokenArabic
Is LandlockedNo
Currencies UsedBHD

Bahrain Population Density

Name Population
Al Muharraq97,458
Ar Rifa'79,550
Dar Kulayb65,466
Madinat Hamad52,718
Madinat `Isa38,090
Jidd Hafs31,735
Al Hadd12,797

Bahrain Population Clock

What is the population of Bahrain (as of 11/15/2017)?1,496,172
Last UN Estimate (July 1, 2017)1,492,584
Births Per Day10
Deaths Per Day2
Net Migrations Per Day 18
Net Change Per Day 26
Population Change Since January 1st8,294

Bahrain Population Indicators

Crude Birth Rate 13.324 births/thousand
Crude Death Rate 2.445 deaths/thousand
Crude Net Migration Rate 4.61 people/thousand
Life Expectancy (Both Sexes) 76.987 years
Male Life Expectancy 76.166 years
Female Life Expectancy 78.062 years
Total Fertility Rate 1.989 children/woman
Net Reproduction Rate 0.957 surviving daughters/woman
Sex Ratio At Birth 1.039 males per female
Infant Mortality Rate 6.094 deaths/1,000 live births
Under Five Mortality 8.205 deaths/thousand
Mean Age at Childbearing 30.778 years
Rate of Natural Increase 10.599
Death Before 40 Probability (Total) 2.324%
Death Before 40 Probability (Male) 2.69%
Death Before 40 Probability (Female) 1.766%
Death Before 60 Probability (Total) 7.612%
Death Before 60 Probability (Male) 8.297%
Death Before 60 Probability (Female) 6.542%
Median Age (Total) 32.1 years
Median Age (Female) 29.3 years
Median Age (Male) 33.5 years

Bahrain Population History

Year Population % Male % Female Density (km²) Growth Rate

Bahrain Population Projections

Year Population % Male % Female Density (km²) Growth Rate
Data Sources
  1. World Population Prospects (2017 Revision) - United Nations population estimates and projections.
  2. GeoNames Gazetteer