Population of Cities in Chile (2017)

1
Over 1 Million
26
100,000 to 1 Million
83
10,000 to 100,000

As one of the most populous countries in the world, Chile has many bustling cities that contribute to the total population. Its largest city, Santiago, has a population of 4.8 million and is on track to surpass the five million milestone in the near future. While this is the only city that has exceeded one million residents, the country has many other cities that contribute to its high population. There are 26 Chilean cities that have at least 100,000 residents, while there are 83 that have a population above 10,000. Chile's cities are spread among 15 regions, which are then divided into 54 additional administrative divisions known as provinces. Each province is headed by a governor, all of whom are apponted by Chile's president.

The country of Chile has developed over the years, and the urban areas have expanded so that now, about 90% of the population reside in the country's cities. The remaining 10% live in urban areas, but given past declines and growth and expansion of cities, this number may continue to fall in the future. Chile's rich history and culture, industrial opportunities, attractions, historic landmarks and natural scenery contributes to national and international migration to the major cities of the country.

Chile has 1 cities with more than a million people, 26 cities with between 100,000 and 1 million people, and 83 cities with between 10,000 and 100,000 people. The largest city in Chile is Santiago, with a population of 4,837,295 people.

Santiago

This capital city is the financial, cultureal and political center of Chile.

4,837,295

Puente Alto

This city is the capital of Cordillera Province.

510,417

Antofagasta

This city has shown steady growth and should hit the half-million milestone in the next decade.

309,832

Vina del Mar

Hotels, resorts and entertaining attractions draw national and international visitors to this city.

294,551

Valparaiso

This city is known for its seaport and as its role as the headquarters of the Chilean National Congress.

282,448

Talcahuano

This city was officially founded in the 1700s as an official port.

252,968

San Bernardo

This city holds annual events tha have earned it the title of Chile's folklore capital.

249,858

Temuco

Temuco is a hub of tourism, trade, agriculture and forestry.

238,129

Iquique

This port city is only one of two free ports in the country.

227,499

Concepcion

Concepcion was founded in 1550 and has since grown to be one of the most important centers of domestic trade.

215,413

Name 2017 Population
Santiago4,837,295
Puente Alto510,417
Antofagasta309,832
Vina del Mar294,551
Valparaiso282,448
Talcahuano252,968
San Bernardo249,858
Temuco238,129
Iquique227,499
Concepcion215,413
Rancagua212,695
La Pintana201,178
Talca197,479
Arica185,999
Coquimbo161,317
Puerto Montt160,054
La Serena154,521
Chillan150,396
Calama143,084
Osorno135,773
Valdivia133,419
Quilpue130,263
Copiapo129,280
Los Angeles125,430
Punta Arenas117,430
Lo Prado104,316
Curico102,438
Villa Alemana97,320
Coronel92,940
San Antonio85,651
Chiguayante82,545
Ovalle77,138
Linares69,535
Quillota67,779
Penaflor65,495
Melipilla63,100
San Felipe59,294
Los Andes56,859
Buin55,441
Talagante51,764
Lota49,763
Hacienda La Calera49,106
Tome46,698
Penco46,091
Coihaique45,787
Vallenar44,895
Angol44,856
Rengo38,100
Constitucion37,917
Limache35,876
Santa Cruz33,283
Paine32,766
Villarrica31,602
San Carlos31,517
Cauquenes31,362
Curanilahue30,611
Las Animas30,000
Castro29,926
Lampa29,250
Molina28,775
Ancud28,020
Machali27,595
Pucon26,953
Parral26,904
La Union26,298
Puerto Varas24,958
La Ligua24,857
Arauco24,659
Victoria24,555
Tocopilla24,460
Graneros23,301
El Monte23,090
Illapel22,816
San Vicente22,572
San Javier22,427
Lebu22,345
Mulchen22,170
Puerto Quellon21,823
Lautaro21,579
Nacimiento21,220
Canete20,158
Puerto Natales20,000
Nueva Imperial18,777
Cabrero18,327
Diego de Almagro18,137
Chicureo Abajo18,000
Chimbarongo17,356
Frutillar16,939
Puerto Aisen16,936
Cartagena16,875
Llaillay16,646
La Laja16,550
Collipulli16,392
Panguipulli16,312
Loncoche15,590
Rio Bueno15,456
Villa Presidente Frei, Nunoa, Santiago, Chile15,000
Traiguen14,481
Monte Patria13,945
Pitrufquen13,743
San Clemente13,656
Purranque13,619
Vicuna13,496
Salamanca13,265
Bulnes12,715
Chonchi12,572
Calbuco12,490
Carahue11,875
Yumbel11,111
Taltal10,018
Vilcun9,241
Rauco8,566
Freire7,813
Coihueco7,346
Teno6,858
Longavi6,325