Countries That Drive On The Right 2019
If you live in the United States, it’s not uncommon to drive on the right side of the road. However, did you know that there are several nations that do not drive on the right side of the road? In fact, there are 78 countries and territories that observe LHT, or left-hand traffic. This means that all drivers drive on the left side of the road.
However, more nations and territories observe RHT – or right-hand traffic – which means that all drivers drive on the right side of the road. In fact, about 65% of people drive on the right. Approximately three-quarters of the roads in the world use RHT. A total of 163 countries and territories drive on the right.
This hasn’t always been true. In fact, in the early 1900s, the number of nations and territories that drove on the right was equal to the number of nations and territories that drove on the left. Beginning in 1919, more nations switched to RHT.
As of November 2018, there are 163 countries and nations that drive on the right side of the road. In alphabetical order, those nations are:
- Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan
- Bahrain, Belgium, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi
- Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic
- Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic
- Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia,
- Finland, France
- Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau
- Haiti, Honduras, Hungary
- Iceland, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy
- Kazakhstan, North Korea, South Korea, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
- Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Macedonia, Madagascar, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar
- Netherlands, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway
- Palau, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal
- Romania, Russia, Rwanda
- San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Sudan, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria
- Taiwan, Tajikistan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan
- Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan
- Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam