Denmark Population 2015

´╗┐Denmark is the southernmost Nordic country in Northern Europe, where it's bordered by Germany, Norway and Sweden. The Kingdom of Denmark is comprised of the country of Denmark, which consists of Jutland, a peninsula, and a large archipelago, as well as two autonomous constituent countries: Greenland and the Faroe Islands. In 2015, Denmark has an estimated population of 5.66 million, which ranks 113th in the world.

Unlike some other countries in the world, Denmark has enjoyed a relatively steady growth in population since records began. Back in 1769, it was shown that numbers here had reached 797,584 and by 1787, they had climbed marginally to 841,806.

The population of Denmark had exceeded one million by 1834 when it was claimed that 1,230,964 people were living here. Similar growth continued throughout the 19th century to the point where the Denmark population had climbed to 2,449,540.

That steady but unremarkable increase had generally been the story of Denmark to the point today where it has reached a population of 5.66 million. This population does not include Greenland (56,300) or the Faroe Islands (49,700).

Denmark has a population density of 131 people per square kilometer (339/square mile), which ranks 88th in the world.

The largest city and capital of Denmark is Copenhagen, which has an urban population of 1.2 million and a metro population of 1.99 million. The population density in Copenhagen is 6,800 people per square kilometer, or 18,000 per square mile. Copenhagen has one of the best universities in Europe and it was recently ranked as the third richest city by gross earnings.

Denmark Demographics

Nearly 90% of Denmark's population is comprised of people of Danish descent, which means having at least one parent born in the country with Danish citizenship. Most of the remaining 10% are immigrants or the descendants of recent immigrants, most of whom came from Turkey, Somalia, Iraq, South Asia, the Middle East, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. About 34% of the non-Danish citizens have a Western background.

The Denmark population also enjoys a relatively healthy life expectancy rate and it rates 45th in the world in this respect. The overall average is 78.3 years and this can be split between males at 75.6 years and females at 80.78 years.

Denmark is often ranked as the world's happiest country due to its low income inequality and excellent health care and education.

Denmark Population Projections

Denmark has really provided steady figures throughout its history and although the population growth is slow and sometimes negative from year to year, it is normally steady and fairly reliable. The organisation that is Statistics Denmark should therefore show that the population should breach the six million mark for the first time within the next ten years.

Denmark Population Clock
What is the population of Denmark (as of [[date]])? [[getCurrentPopulation()]]
Last UN Estimate (July 1, 2015) [[getLastEstimate()]]
Births Per Day 898
Deaths Per Day 793
Net Migrations Per Day 205
Net Change Per Day 310
Population Change Since January 1st [[getPopChangeThisYear()]]
  • Net [[getIncreaseOrDecrease()]] of 1 person every [[getDurationPerPerson()]]

  • Population estimated based on interpolation of World Population Prospects data.

Denmark Population Indicators
Indicator Value World Ranking
Median (Average) Age 41.5 years 17th
Crude Birth Rate 11.46 births/thousand 150th
Crude Death Rate 10.118 deaths/thousand 47th
Crude Net Migration Rate 2.623 people/thousand 26th
Life Expectancy (Both Sexes) 80.05 years 35th
Life Expectancy (Male) 78.03 years 34th
Life Expectancy (Female) 82.07 years 37th
Total Fertility Rate 1.892 children/woman 129th
Net Reproduction Rate 0.914 surviving daughters/woman 126th
Sex Ratio At Birth 1.056 males per female 59th
Infant Mortality Rate 3.091 deaths/1,000 live births 171st
Under Five Mortality 3.665 deaths/thousand 170th
Mean Age at Childbearing 30.695 years 23rd

Population Data via United Nations WPP

Denmark Population Growth

Denmark has really provided steady figures throughout its history and although the population growth is slow and sometimes negative from year to year, it is normally steady and fairly reliable. The organisation that is Statistics Denmark should therefore show that the population should breach the six million mark for the first time within the next ten years.

Data Sources
  1. World Population Prospects - Global demographic estimates and projections by the United Nations