Mexico Population 2018
Mexico’s population is really growing in leaps and it’s touted to soon overtake the population of Japan. When this happens, Mexico will be among the ten most populous countries in the world today. As of July 2012, the population was estimated to be 114,975,406, putting Mexico as the 11th most populous nation in the world. It retains that rank with an estimated 130.76 million million people in 2018. Because of this, Mexico also has the highest population for a Spanish speaking nation. The country’s population is on a steady, positive growth rate as a result of better medication and vaccines, which reduce the chances of death and increases the chances of successful births.
Mexico covers an area of 1,972,550 square kilometers, making the country’s population density about 57 people per square kilometer. Its capital city, Federal District, Mexico City, has a population of 21.2 million people with 8.9 million of these people living within the city. This makes Mexico City the most populous metropolitan town in the Western Hemisphere. Over the years, Mexico has indicated positive population growth. However, over the past few years, the annual population growth has dropped to less than 1%. The country has witnessed a gradual increase in life expectancies. The life expectancy of women is higher than that of men by about 6 years. The fertility rate, noted as the number of children a woman has in her lifetime, has drastically dropped through the years to be at an all-time low for the country.
The population of Mexico currently is 130.76 million. Females account for 50.7% of the population, while males account for 49.3% of the total population. It is noted, though, that the majority of people migrate from Mexico to the United States to provide labor for the North American country. The country's birth rate for 2016 is 19.02 births/1,000 population. The death rate is 5.24 deaths/1,000 population.
Mexico Population History
Mexico has displayed a positive population growth over the past seven decades. The population has quadrupled between 1933 and 1980 and has had its ups in years like in 1950, where the growth was 4.6%, and in 1970, where it recorded 7.2%. However, it has had its downs as well, like in 1960 where the growth rate was only 0.4%. However, the growth rate over the past seven decades has translated to an average of 3% per annual growth rate. After 1980, the population growth displayed a steady decrease of less than 3% per year. This subsequently dropped to less than 2% in the late 1980s and 90s and reached an all-time low of 1% or below in 2004. Migration from Mexico and a decrease in the fertility rate of women has been blamed for the consecutive drops over the years.
Mexico Life Expectancy
Mexico has a total life expectancy of 75.4 years, coming in 66th in the World Life Expectancy ranking. The life expectancy for males is 72.6 years, which is significantly lower than the 78.0 average for females. Life expectancy moved from under 30 years at the beginning of the century to 38 years by 1938. By 1950, it had risen to 50. The trend carried on as the average hit 62 by 1970 – a sign that the Mexican health system was experiencing rapid improvements that contributed to longer life. The current average of 75. 4 is quite impressive for a country that once had a life expectancy of less than 30. The average is expected to continue to rise but at a slower rate than observed in the past. The estimated life expectancy is forecast to rise by 2.5 per decade.
Mexico’s population makes it the highest populated Spanish speaking country. The country’s population has seen a steady growth in the twentieth century. In the past half a decade, the population growth has stalled, registering less than a 1% annual population growth rate. A total of 78.84% people in Mexico reside in urban areas leaving a mere 21.16% to live in the rural areas of Mexico. Roughly half of the population lives in one of Mexico’s 55 metropolitan towns. The percentage of people broken down into different age brackets is: 0-14 years is 27.8%; 15-24 years is 18.2%; 25-54 is 40.5%; 55-64% is 6.7%; while 65 years and over is 6.7 according to the 2012 estimation. In the first age bracket there are 16,329,415 males and 15,648,127 females. In the 15-24 age bracket, there are 10,552,581 males and 10,420,710 females. The 25-54 age bracket has 22,287,799 males and 24,321,919 females. Between 55-64, there are 3,545,046 males and 4,138,139 females. Women are more popular in three of the age brackets compared to men taking only two of them.
Components of Population Change
|One birth every 14 seconds|
|One death every 50 seconds|
|One net migrant every 9 minutes|
|Net gain of one person every 20 seconds|
Source: Lidia Lopez