Romania Population 2019
As of early 2014, the population of Romania was around 21,595,302, a slight decrease from the estimated 21,668,721 in 2013 and from the 2011 population estimates when the figure stood at 21,801,942. Romania's population is apparently decreasing at a rate of over 0.32% per year. In 2018, this yearly loss rate rose to .50%, indicating a more dramatic decline over the last year. According to historical figures, Romania actually hit its population peak in the early 90s, when there were 23,372,101 people in Romania. In 2019 the population is estimated at 19.48 million.
Surface Area and Population Density of Romania
Romania's borders encapsulate a total of 238,931 square kilometers of area. When calculated with the current population numbers, we find a population density of approximately 82 people per square kilometer. This earns the country 134th rank in overall population density.
Capital of Romania
The capital of Romania is Bucharest and this city has a population of 1,877,155 individuals. The World Factbook explains that a fairly even population distribution can be found throughout most of the country.
Demographics of Romania
Romania is a small country that is constituted of 84.1% Ethnic Romanians from its total population while a small Hungarian minority makes up 5.4% of the population demographics.
The age structure of Romania is skewed heavily towards its inhabitants in the 25-54 year age group. They make up around 46.3% of the population. The younger generation in the 0-25 year age bracket also has a significant majority in the country with 24.95% of the population growing with them. These are encouraging numbers, which show that Romania has a thriving work force and an upcoming generation available for its development, provided it can create suitable opportunities for its inhabitants to help develop it further in the long run. Moreover, the population of senior citizens in Romania (people 55 years and over) also make up a significant portion of the country's population at 27.8%. This population spread also shows that Romania has a very uniform distribution of its population in all age brackets except the 25-54 year olds.
The sex ratio is also uniquely uniform in Romania with the men and the women sharing almost equal numbers in the country. From 0-64 years old, the ratio is slightly tipped in favor of the males. There are 1.06 males for each female, but this changes to almost a 1:1 ratio when we look at the 55-64 year age structure. From 64 years and beyond, the sex ratio is skewed in favor of the women as the ratio then is 0.68 male per 1 female.
The official language used is Romanian, with additional use of Hungarian and Romani in some communities.
In terms of religion, just over 80% of the population adhere to the Eastern Orthodox, with Protestant and Roman Catholic both coming in with under 10% of the population in following.
Romania Life Expectancy
This factor highlights that the life expectancy of women in Romania is higher than the men. Although the overall life expectancy in Romania is around 74.22 years, the life expectancy of males is 70.75 years only. In contrast to that, the life expectancy of women is 77.89 years, which is a significant difference between the sexes.
Most of Romania's population resides in the urban zones of the country. These include the major cities such as Bucharest, Cluj-Napoca, Timisoara, Iasi and Constanta. Around 55.20% of the total population is present in the city regions of the country, while the remaining 44.80% resides in the rural areas.
Furthermore, Romania has shown an encouraging decrease in infant mortality rates (IMR). Around the year 2002, it was reporting around 17.2 deaths per 1000 children. However, by 2012 this figure had fallen to 9.2 deaths per 1000 children.
All in all, Romania has a roughly equal distribution of males and females in its population, which in turn is very evenly divided amongst its age groups. With suitable opportunities and economic growth, Romania can certainly develop itself more and enhance its image around the world. It is showing steady signs of improvement over the years, and with an able work force available at its disposable, it can certainly become a country of much importance in the region.
Components of Population Change
|One birth every 3 minutes|
|One death every 2 minutes|
|One net migrant every 19 minutes|
|Net loss of one person every 5 minutes|