Population of Cities in United Arab Emirates (2018)

Over 1 Million
100,000 to 1 Million
10,000 to 100,000
  • Dubai
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Sharjah
  • Al Ain
  • Ajman
  • Ras al-Khaimah
  • Al Fujayrah
  • Umm al Qaywayn
  • Khawr Fakkan
  • Dibba Al-Fujairah
  • Dibba Al-Hisn
  • Adh Dhayd
  • Ar Ruways
  • Muzayri`

The United Arab Emirates is a country that is made up of seven emirates. Those are Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, and Umm al-Qaiwain. While the country as a whole has a prime minister and federal president, each emirate has its own ruler that oversees the local governments. The UAE was established in 1971, and since that time, it has seen great population growth. Its largest city is Dubai, which has reached the one million resident milestone with a population of 1.1 million. This is the only city with a population exceeding one million. However, there are other cities within the UAE that have high population counts. The second most populous city, Abu Dhabi, has over 600,000 residents. There are four additional cities with populations that have surpassed 100,000. Seven cities have populations that are between 10,000 and 100,000, while remaining cities and towns make up the remainder of the population.

The majorty of people in the UAE live in urbanized areas. Just 14% live in rural areas and towns, while the remaining 86% live in the urbanized cities within the seven emirates. The UAE has seen a steady pattern of growth through the years, which is expected to slow down in the near future. Some experts also anticipate that the economy will be slowing down. Only time will tell how the growth of these major cities and the population that resides within them will change in the future.

United Arab Emirates has 1 cities with more than a million people, 5 cities with between 100,000 and 1 million people, and 7 cities with between 10,000 and 100,000 people. The largest city in United Arab Emirates is Dubai, with a population of 1,137,347 people.


Dubai is the only city in the United Arab Emirates that has a population over 1 million.


Abu Dhabi

The capital city has been inhabited since at least third millennium BCE.



Sharjah is a WHO healthy city and a center for industry and culture.


Al Ain

This city is home to the most Emirati nationals .



This city is beginning to grow into a popular tourist destination after recovering from economic crisis in 2008.


Ras al-Khaimah

This populous city joined the UAE in 1972.


Al Fujayrah

The majority of these residents are employed by the federal government.


Umm al Qaywayn

This city has many historic sites, including the Umm Al Quwain Fort.


Khawr Fakkan

This city has a history of human settlement datings back to the 3rd to 1st millenium BC.


Dibba Al-Fujairah

This is the 2nd largest city in the Fujairah emirate.


Name 2018 Population Location
Abu Dhabi603,492Map
Al Ain408,733Map
Ras al-Khaimah115,949Map
Al Fujayrah62,415Map
Umm al Qaywayn44,411Map
Khawr Fakkan33,575Map
Dibba Al-Fujairah30,000Map
Dibba Al-Hisn26,395Map
Adh Dhayd24,716Map
Ar Ruways16,000Map
Data Sources