Lahore Population 2016

Lahore is a city situated in the northwest of Pakistan. It is the capital city of the province of Punjab and is the main center for Culture in both the Punjab region and Pakistan as a whole. Lahore’s population in 1998 stood at just under 6.5 million with a figure for 2013 of just over 7 million with a current growth rate of just over 2%.

The current population of a little over 7 million are all squeezed into the city’s boundaries of 1772 km squared. Thankfully, the city has expanded to almost double its size in the last 14 years but the Lahore remains the 42nd most heavily populated city in the world. The residents make their homes in the 9 administrative towns and one military designated area. Within these areas, there are some historic neighborhoods and of course there is the old city area.

Lahore is a city rich in history and tradition; it has experienced 3 major eras in its history – the Mughul Empire, British colonial, and now the modern city of Pakistan. With new eras in history came new designs and developments - which have all added and enriched the fabric of tis busy bustling city. Of note is the Walled City of Lahore which is one of the most densely populated areas of Lahore. It has highly compromised living conditions, in part due to its over population - and partly due to the neglect it suffers from the municipal. In contrast, the military area of Lahore boasts wider streets, cleaner air and is generally less chaotic than the more inner city areas.

Model Town area is where you will find the beautiful parks, modern shopping areas and a lower cost of living than that in the military area. A great budget area to live is the Punjab Housing Society; it is close enough to the military area to enjoy the benefits - but with it being slightly less developed, rents are around half the amount.

Lahore Demographics

Of the people in Lahore, 87% of them speak Punjabi; however, this language can be broken down into many different dialects which makes for a diverse speaking population. Other languages spoken include Urdu – the national language, and English - which is spoken and understood by a large number of people, especially those from an educated background.

The main religion in Lahore is Muslim – mostly Sunni or Shia- which makes up 94% of the population. The remaining 6% are nearly all Christians. There are also a small number of minority religions such as Sikh and Hindu. The Lahoris are a cultural bunch of people celebrating many festivals around in the year – some religious, some historical and some are combinations of ancient and modern- even western – celebrations.

Lahore is a young country with over 40% of its inhabitants below the age of 15. The average life expectancy stand at less than 60 years of age. Another interesting statistic is that less than 40% of the population of the city are literate.

Lahore Population Growth

Lahore is home to some significant buildings including many high profile universities and schools, great pieces of historical architecture and museums. The city is referred to as the Paris of the East or the Mughal City of Gardens in reference to the many historical gardens situated around Lahore. Lahore is also the engineering hub of Pakistan with industries such as car manufacture, heavy machinery, steel, IT, chemicals and computers all contributing to its 13.2% contribution to Pakistan’s national economy. It is currently ranked 122nd largest in the world for GDP with an average growth rate of nearly 6%.

Lahore  Population in 2016 Source: Faisal7714014

Population Pyramid

Lahore Population Data (Urban Area)

Year Population Growth Rate (%) Growth
1950 836,000 0.00% 0
1955 1,022,000 22.20% 186,000
1960 1,264,000 23.70% 242,000
1965 1,575,000 24.60% 311,000
1970 1,964,000 24.70% 389,000
1975 2,399,000 22.10% 435,000
1980 2,882,000 20.10% 483,000
1985 3,388,000 17.60% 506,000
1990 3,970,000 17.20% 582,000
1995 4,653,000 17.20% 683,000
2000 5,452,000 17.20% 799,000
2005 6,389,000 17.20% 937,000
2010 7,487,000 17.20% 1,098,000
2015 8,741,000 16.70% 1,254,000
2017 9,245,000 5.80% 504,000
2020 10,054,000 8.80% 809,000
2025 11,515,000 14.50% 1,461,000
2030 13,033,000 13.20% 1,518,000
Lahore Population Growth

Lahore 's 2017 population is now estimated at 9,245,000. In 1950, the population of Lahore was 836,000. Lahore has grown by 504,000 in the last year, which represents a 5.80% change. These population estimates and projections come from the latest revision of the UN World Urbanization Prospects. These estimates represent the Urban agglomeration of Lahore , which typically includes Lahore 's population in addition to adjacent suburban areas.