The Italian peninsula has been colonized for tens of thousands of years, and most famously by the Roman empire. Because of this, the exact age of Italy is disputed. For the purposes of the name of Italy as unified by the city-states in the 19th century, the unification into the Kingdom of Italy occurred in 1861. Although the Italian culture is almost as old as Greek culture, unified Italy is 161 years old. Below are some key figures and stats about Italy:
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Republic
• President: Sergio Mattarella
• Prime Minister: Mario Draghi
• President of the Senate: Elisabetta Casellati
• President of the Chamber of Deputies: Roberto Fico
• Legislature: Parliament
• Upper house: Senate of the Republic
• Lower house: Chamber of Deputies
• Unification: 17 March 1861
• Republic: 2 June 1946
• Current constitution: 1 January 1948
• Founded the EEC (now EU): 1 January 1958
• Total Area: 301,230 km2 (116,310 sq mi) (71st)
• Water (%): 1.24 (2015)
• Population, 2020 Estimate: Neutral decrease 60,317,116 (23rd)
• 2011 census: Neutral increase of 59,433,744
• Density: 201.3/km2 (521.4/sq mi) (74th)
• GDP (PPP) 2022 Estimate Total Increase $2.972 trillion (12th)
• Per capita: Increase of $50,216 (33rd)
• GDP (nominal) 2022 Estimate Total Increase $2.058 trillion (9th)
• Per capita: Increase of $34,777 (33rd)
• Gini (2020): Positive decrease 32.5 (medium)
• HDI (2021/22): 0.895 (very high · 30th)
• Currency: Euro (€)b (EUR)
• Time zone: UTC+1 (CET)
• Summer (DST): UTC+2 (CEST)
• Date format: dd/mm/yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd (AD)
• Driving side: right
• Calling code: +39c
• ISO 3166 code: IT
• Internet TLD: .itd
The .eu domain is also used, as it is shared with other European Union member states.
German is co-official in South Tyrol and Friuli Venezia Giulia; French is co-official in the Aosta Valley; Slovene is co-official in the province of Trieste, the province of Gorizia, and Friuli Venezia Giulia; Ladin is co-official in South Tyrol, in Trentino and in other northern areas; Friulian is co-official in Friuli Venezia Giulia; Sardinian is co-official in Sardinia.
Before 2002, the Italian lira. The euro is accepted in Campione d'Italia but its official currency is the Swiss franc. To call Campione d'Italia, it is necessary to use the Swiss code +41.
Italy is home to one of the most pleasant climates on the planet (in the modern age) making it an essential exporter of agricultural goods and luxurious products such as fine wine. Italy is part of the G7 and is one of the richest countries in the world. It has always been so, as the wealth of the city-states allowed them to remain independent long after similar political regimes were being emulated throughout the world. Italy finally unified in 1861, and underwent some troubled regime changes, namely allying itself with the axis powers in World War II. Since then, Italy has become a leader in unconventional work days, which, together with countries such as Spain, allow their workforce a long break during mealtime to connect with friends and family.
The country of Italy is 162 years old, founded in the year 1861.