San Marino claimed its independence from the Roman Empire in 301. It also claimed its independence from the papal state in 1291. The first constitution was written in 1600, and the one we know today was the declaration of citizen rights in 1978. This makes San Marino as old as 1721 years and as young as 44 years. Below are the key facts about San Marino.
Capital - San Marino. Coordinates: 43°56′N 12°26′E
Largest settlement - Dogana. Coordinates: 43°58′53″N 12°29′22″E
Official languages - Italian Other languages - Romagnol dialect
The republic is made up of 43 parishes named curacies (Italian: curazie):
Cà Berlone, Cà Chiavello, Cà Giannino, Cà Melone, Cà Ragni, Cà Rigo, Cailungo, Caladino, Calligaria, Canepa, Capanne, Casole, Castellaro, Cerbaiola, Cinque Vie, Confine, Corianino, Crociale, Dogana, Falciano, Fiorina, Galavotto, Gualdicciolo, La Serra, Lesignano, Molarini, Montalbo, Monte Pulito, Murata, Pianacci, Piandivello, Poggio Casalino, Poggio Chiesanuova, Ponte Mellini, Rovereta, San Giovanni sotto le Penne, Santa Mustiola, Spaccio Giannoni, Teglio, Torraccia, Valdragone, Valgiurata and Ventoso.
Demonym(s) - Sammarinese
Government: Unitary Assembly - Independent Diarchic Directorial Republic
• Captains Regent: Oscar Mina, Paolo Rondelli
• Secretary for Foreign and Political Affairs: Luca Beccari
• Legislature: Grand and General Council
• Independence from Roman Empire: 301 (traditional)
• Independence from Papal State: 1291 (de jure)
8 October 1600 (statutes) 12 July 1978 (Declaration of Citizen Rights)
• Total: 61.2 km2 (23.6 sq mi) (191st)
• Water (%): 0
• Population (2021 estimate): 33,600 (221st)
• Density: 520/km2 (1,346.8/sq mi) (23rd) GDP (PPP) 2017 estimate
• Total: $2.09 billion (175th)
• Per capita: $60,651 (11th)
• GDP (nominal): 2017 estimate
• Total: $1.55 billion (174th)
• Per capita: $44,947 (13th)
• HDI (2013): 0.875 (very high · 26th)
• Currency: Euro (€) (EUR)
• Time zone: UTC+01 (CET)
• Summer (DST): UTC+02 (CEST)
• Driving side: right
• Calling code: +378 (+39 0549 calling via Italy)
• ISO 3166 code: SM
• Internet TLD: .sm
San Marino is rich in history, its ways and traditions are deeply rooted in Romany ways, in all except religion (The country is predominantly Catholic). Executive power is exercised b the government and legislative power is given to both the government and the General + Grand Council. The judiciary arm is independent of each branch. San Marino has the earliest written governing documents that are still in effect today; the original statutes that were written in the year 1600 are still the fundamental core elements of the rights and freedoms that the people can enjoy.
Much like the ancient practice of having Roman consuls in the pinnacle of the Roman Republic, the council elects two captain-regents to be the heads of state. It is unique in that each head of state is from a different party, making it an extremely effective system that is more representative of a larger group of people within the country. San Marino is said to be a multi-party Democratic Republic.
The country of San Marino is 780 years old, founded in the year 1243.