Homeless Population By State 2020

In the United States, there are over half a million people experiencing homelessness. These individuals live in a temporary shelter or transitional housing or sleep in a place not meant for habitation (like an abandoned building).

Overall, 66.7 percent of the total homeless population of the United States is single individuals, with the remaining 33.3 percent being families. In recent years, homelessness increased nationally by almost one percent. This number is comprised of unaccompanied children and young adults, single adults experiencing chronic homelessness, and people experiencing unsheltered homelessness.

Some populations have seen a decrease in homelessness. Dramatic reductions are amongst families and the veteran community.

The state of California currently has the highest homeless population, with almost 25 percent of the total population experiencing some form of homelessness. This figure is attributed to issues with providing affordable and adequate housing opportunities, current drug laws, and the inaccessibility of important mental health resources.

Another alarming statistic comes from New York City. In recent years, homelessness in this city reached the highest levels since the Great Depression in the 1930s, reaching its highest point under Mayor Bill de Blasio. This year, however, saw the second year in the decline of the homeless or unsheltered population, attributed to the creation of safe havens, or specialized shelters, that have a streamlined process of getting people into permanent housing.

The state with the lowest percentage of homeless population is experiencing an increase as well. Due to an oil and gas boom, North Dakota now has the fastest-growing economy. With this comes a rush of people coming to the state for work, but surging housing prices has made it difficult to find a home.

For a state-by-state look at homeless statistics, take a look at the table below. Data from this table was retrieved from the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness.

Homeless Population By State 2020

State Total Homeless Homeless Households Veterans Young Adults
California151,2787,04410,98011,993
New York92,09115,0911,2702,978
Florida28,3282,1712,4721,450
Texas25,8481,9191,8061,355
Washington21,5771,7511,5851,911
Massachusetts18,4713,766917480
Oregon15,8761,1471,4381,590
Pennsylvania13,1991,569857737
Georgia10,443815801596
Ohio10,345999676643
Illinois10,1991,105690609
Arizona10,007745910587
Colorado9,6197191,068545
North Carolina9,314767907417
New Jersey8,862993551496
Michigan8,5751,022599489
Minnesota7,9771,028297685
Tennessee7,467558679366
Nevada7,1691836741,285
Maryland6,561603490290
District of Columbia6,521815297271
Hawaii6,412539505222
Missouri6,179707488477
Virginia5,783652447258
Indiana5,471544572258
Wisconsin4,538592359200
South Carolina4,172275462216
Kentucky4,079313447211
Oklahoma3,944300280322
Alabama3,261236292320
New Mexico3,241246257216
Connecticut3,033305195196
Louisiana2,941170360188
Utah2,798260211163
Arkansas2,717132238336
Kansas2,381209189122
Nebraska2,365201175151
Iowa2,315227149146
Idaho2,315243201188
Maine2,106283116125
Alaska1,907161111176
West Virginia1,3977913789
New Hampshire1,39620611384
Montana1,35713620582
Mississippi1,184697256
Vermont1,08912887105
Rhode Island1,0551119226
South Dakota995766666
Delaware9211166542
North Dakota557514972
Wyoming548375181