How Old is Pakistan?
How Old is Pakistan?
Officially named the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, it was officially created as a sovereign nation in 1947, making it 75 years old. Below is the key information about Pakistan with each source provided.
Capital - Islamabad. Coordinates: 33°41′30″N 73°03′00″E
Largest city - Karachi. Coordinates: 24°51′36″N 67°00′36″E
Official languages: Urdu and English
Ethnic groups, as of 2020
Religion, as of 2017
96.47% Islam (official)
Demonym(s) - Pakistani
Government is the Federal Islamic Parliamentary Republic
• President: Arif Alvi
• Prime Minister: Shehbaz Sharif
• Chairman of the Senate: Sadiq Sanjrani
• Speaker of the National Assembly: Raja Pervaiz Ashraf
• Chief Justice: Umar Ata Bandial
• Legislature: Parliament
• Upper house: Senate
• Lower house: National Assembly
Independence from the United Kingdom
• Dominion: 14 August 1947
• Islamic Republic: 23 March 1956
• Last polity withdrawn: 12 January 1972
• Current constitution: 14 August 1973
• Total Area: 881,913 km2 (340,509 sq mi) (33rd)
• Water (%): 2.86
• 2022 Population Estimate: Neutral increase 242,923,845 (5th)
• 2017 census: Neutral increase 207.8 million
• Density: 244.4/km2 (633.0/sq mi) (56th), GDP (PPP) 2022 estimate
• Total Increase $1.468 trillion (24th)
• Per capita Increase: $6,470 (168th)
• GDP (nominal): 2021 estimate
• Total Increase $347 billion (44th)
• Per capita Increase: $1,562 (178th)
Currency: Pakistani rupee (₨) (PKR)
Time zone UTC+05:00 (PKT)
DST is not observed
Date format: dd-mm-yyyy
Driving side left
Calling code +92
ISO 3166 code PK
Internet TLD: .pk پاکستان.
Key Facts about Pakistan
Pakistan was created during the British partition of 1947, as a separation from India. It was a way to separate the largely Hindu and Muslim populations, thought to be extremely hostile to one another. In doing so, Britain cut land territories at an obscure border, which ultimately separated many friends and families from being able to be with one another. It is thought to be an extremely inhumane solution to a problem that was aggravated by their very presence. It was initially part of the Commonwealth until 1956 when Pakistan became a republic.
The largely Protestant British leaders were widely against the creation of Pakistan, as it was seen as an enemy to the Christian faith and the overall British rule. Pakistan is the only country to have been created in the name of Islam and does not separate faith and state from any matter. This caused much friction with the ideals of some ethnic groups within Pakistan, mainly the citizens of the East Bengals. Parliament was created shortly in 1973 and Bangladesh became its own country between 1971 and 1973, as its citizens wanted a more secular approach to governmental institutions. After the secession of Bangladesh, parliament voted to officially make Pakistan an Islamic state.