Where is Israel in the World?

map placeholder
Click on a country for details.

Israel, or the State of Israel, is situated along the Mediterranean Sea in the Middle East Region of the world. Located in Western Asia, Israel is the country that connects the continents of Africa and Asia. With Egypt along its southwestern border, Israel is surrounded by three other countries, as well as six central bodies of water. Lebanon borders Israel in the north, Syria in the northeast, and Jordan in the east. The six water sources that lie along various borders of Israel are the Mediterranean Sea, the Sea of Galilee, the Jordan River, the Dead Sea, the Gulf of Aqaba, and the Red Sea.

Israel's Most Extreme Points and GPS Coordinates

The GPS coordinates of Israel are comprised of a latitude of 31.0461° N and a longitude of 34.8516° E. The northernmost point of Israel is located along the border that separates Israel from Lebanon. Just outside of the city of Metula, this point has GPS coordinates of 33°17′ N and 35°34′ E. To the south, Israel stretches as far as a latitude of 29°29′ N and a longitude of 34°54′ E. The GPS coordinates point to the Taba Border Crossing, which is the name of the border control between Eilat, Israel, and Taba, Egypt.

The most extreme point of Israel to the east is along the border separating Syrian and Israeli land. More specifically, the easternmost point is on the Si’on River with GPS coordinates of 33°14′ N and 35°40′ E. The westernmost point of Israel is situated at a latitude of 31°31′ N and a longitude of 34°16′ E. This is the crossroads between Egypt, Israel, and the Gaza Strip.

Total Area, Population, and Density of Israel

With a total area of approximately 8,019 square miles, Israel ranks as the 150th largest country on the planet.

Populations fluctuate, so it is hard to record an exact amount that holds over time. However, the most recent census of 2018 has determined that Israel’s population is approximately 8,511,061 people. In comparison to the rest of the world, Israel ranks as the 100th most populated country on the planet.

The population density of Israel is approximately 1,062 people per square mile. Based on this value, Israel ranks as the 35th most densely populated country of the 195 countries in the world.

Official Name
State of Israel
Common Name
Israel
Area
20,770 km²
Bordering Countries
Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria
Calling Code
972
Capital
Jerusalem
Demonym
Israeli
Landlocked
No
Lat/Long
31.47, 35.13
Continent
Asia
Region
Asia
Subregion
Western Asia, The Middle East
cca2
IL
cca3
ISR
ccn2
376
cioc
ISR

Where is Israel in the World?

Israel is an independent country in the Middle East. The country is bordered by Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt and is open to the Mediterranean Sea on its Westside. Israel is the only Jewish nation in the modern era, and its borders have become hotly contended throughout the past 70 years.

Israel History

Initially, the modern Israel area was controlled by the Roman Empire and eventually the Byzantine Empire. A great source of contention during the Crusades, the region eventually became known as Palestine and was ruled as part of the Ottoman Empire. Following WWI, the area was declared a British Mandate. At the end of WWII, many Jewish immigrants fled to the region, which caused increased flare-ups and violence with the Palestinian Arabs. The United Nations divided the area into Jewish and Arab sections, and Israel eventually declared statehood on May 14, 1948, forming an independent Jewish state.

Israel Demographics

Founded as a homeland for Jews, Israel continues to have a heavy Jewish population, accounting for nearly 75% of all citizens. The remaining 25% are primarily Palestinian Arabs who are Muslim. A small percentage of citizens are Christians or Druze. The majority of people live in urban areas, with only about 4% of the population in rural areas. Jewish immigration continues to increase every year, with most Jews tracing their roots to European (and the Soviet Union) ancestry. Tel Aviv-Yafo and Haifa are two of the largest cities in Israel and collectively make up more than 50% of the total population in the country.

Is Israel a Country?

Israel: Continent View