Where is Niger in the World?

map placeholder
Click on a country for details.

Known officially as the Republic of Niger, the African country is part of the Saharan and Sub-Saharan regions of Africa. Niger is surrounded by land along each of its borders. To the north, Niger is bordered by Algeria to the northwest and Libya to the northeast. Nigeria is south of Niger, and Chad is to the eastern border of Niger. Benin and Burkina Faso share the southwestern edge of Niger. Mali is west of Niger as well. In total, Niger is encompassed by seven other countries.

Geographic Location of Niger

Niger is located at a latitude of 8°E and a longitude of 16°N. The GPS coordinates of Niger denote the hemispheres in which Niger is situated. The E following Niger’s latitude coordinate refers to the eastern hemisphere and the N following the country’s longitude relates to the northern hemisphere. Since Niger is in the northern hemisphere, we can also determine that the African country is positioned above the equator.

Niger's Total Area, Population Size, and Density

The total area of Niger is approximately 489,075 square miles. Of this area, Niger contains only 0.02% of water, leaving the other 99.98% of Niger to land areas, equating to about 97.9 square miles of water and 488,977.1 square miles of land in the entire country. These values make sense considering Niger’s geographic location.

The population of Niger is about 22,691,183 people as of December 2018. Populations grow daily, so this value is always subject to change, but as of the past few years, the population of Niger has stayed relatively consistent.

Niger has one of the highest population densities compared to every other country around the world. By dividing the population by the total area, we find that the population density of Niger is a value of about 47 people per square mile. Niger ranks as the 20th most densely populated country on earth.

Boundaries and Borders of Niger

The northernmost point of Niger is the locale where Niger, Libya, and Algeria intersect. This tripoint has a latitudinal GPS coordinate of 23°31' N. In the south, Niger’s most extreme point is located in Bayelsa State. With a coordinate of 04°17' N, the southernmost point is found in Cape Formoso in the region of Brass.

To the east, the country spans as far as a longitude of 16°00' E. As part of the Agadez Region of Niger, the country’s easternmost point rests along the border between Niger and Chad. The most extreme point of Niger to the west is in the Tillabéri Region of Niger with a coordinate of 0°07' E. It lies along the shared border of Burkina Faso, Niger, and Mali.

Official Name
Republic of Niger
Common Name
1,267,000 km²
Bordering Countries
Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad, Libya, Mali, Nigeria
Calling Code
16, 8
Western Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa

Niger: Continent View