Where is Taiwan in the World?

map placeholder
Click on a country for details.

Located on the continent of Asia, Taiwan is also referred to as the Republic of China. Taiwan is off the eastern coast of China. To the north of Taiwan lies the East China Sea. The Pacific Ocean is in the east, while the Taiwan Strait is in the west. The South China Sea borders Taiwan in the southwest.

Taiwan's GPS Coordinates and Centermost Point

The GPS coordinates of Taiwan are made up of the latitude of 23.6978° N, and 120.9605° E. Taiwan is located in the northern and eastern hemispheres. Surrounded by four bodies of water, the coastline of Taiwan spans a total of 708 square miles.

Most Extreme Points in Four Cardinal Directions

In the north, Taiwan extends as far as a latitude of 26°23' N. Located in the city of Dongyin on the island of Matsu, Taiwan’s northernmost point ranks as the 87th northernmost point in the world. In the south, Taiwan’s most extreme point sits at a latitude of 21°53' N. The Cape of Eluanbi, in Pingtung County, is located at this degree of extremity to the south of Taiwan.

With a latitude of 122°06'25" E, the easternmost point of Taiwan is situated along the Mien-hwa Islet in Keelung City. Taiwan’s most extreme point to the east is the 20th most eastern point of extremity among all 195 countries around the world. To the west, Taiwan’s furthest point is in Tainan City in the Qigu District.

Total Area, Population, and Density of Taiwan

The total area of Taiwan is 13,976 square miles, with 11.664.5 square miles of land and 2,311.5 square miles of water. As percentages, Taiwan is 83.5% land and 16.5% water.

Taiwan has a population of approximately 23,724,523 people. As the 56th most populated country, Taiwan’s population only comprises 0.31% of the total global population. The majority of those who live in Taiwan reside in urban areas. About 22.5% of the population is in rural areas, while the other 77.5% live in cities.

The population density of Taiwan is roughly 1,697.5 people per square mile. For the sake of logic, population densities tend to be rounded up to the nearest whole number since values of people cannot be fractions. That said, there are approximately 1,698 people per square mile in Taiwan.

Official Name
Republic of China
Common Name
36,193 km²
Calling Code
23.5, 121
Eastern Asia

Taiwan is a country in East Asia and is officially known as the Republic of China (ROC). However, its political status is often contested because the People's Republic of China (PRC) recognizes it as the Taiwan Province of China.


Taiwan is an island located in the western Pacific Ocean. It borders the South China Sea to the southwest, the East China Sea to the north, the Pacific Ocean to its eastern coast, and the Taiwan Strait to the west.


The size of Taiwan is about 35,980 square kilometers, making it nearly the same size as the Netherlands. Besides the main island, Taiwan comprises 22 islands in the Taiwan group and 64 others in the Pescadores archipelago. Taiwan has a population of approximately 23 million, with most of them being the Han Chinese. Taiwan natives speak four main languages: Formosan, Hakka, Mandarin, and Taiwanese.


Taiwan's economy is a highly developed free-market economy and, ranks 22nd in GDP per capita based on PPP. Taiwan is part of the advanced economies group because its purchasing power is 8th in Asia and 18th globally. The services sector contributes 62.1% of its GDP, while industry and agriculture inject 36% and 1.8%, respectively. Taiwan is the largest manufacturer of microchips globally.

Is Taiwan a Country?

Taiwan: Continent View