Map Options

Color Scheme:
Map Type:
Download SVG:
map placeholder
Arizona
700
Utah
513.6
New Mexico
178
Nevada
163.7
Montana
64

Copper Production by State 2024

Copper Production by State 2024

Copper production in the United States is an essential part of the country's mining industry, with several states contributing significant amounts of copper to both the domestic and global markets. Arizona is the leading copper-producing state, accounting for a substantial portion of the country's total copper output. The state is home to some of the largest copper mines in the United States, including the Morenci mine and the Sierrita mine. Arizona produces approximately 700 million pounds of copper annually. Other states with notable copper production include Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, and Montana, each containing significant copper deposits and active mining operations.

In terms of global copper production, the United States ranks among the top producers but is outpaced by countries such as Chile, Peru, and China, which have larger copper reserves and higher production levels. Chile, in particular, is the world's largest copper producer, boasting significant copper deposits and well-established mining infrastructure. Although the United States does not hold the top position globally, it still plays a crucial role in the international copper market, supplying both domestic and foreign industries with this valuable metal. As demand for copper continues to grow, driven by its use in electronics, renewable energy, and construction, the US copper industry is expected to evolve and adapt to meet the ever-changing market conditions.

Copper Production by State 2024

- Values are displayed in millions of pounds. For example, Utah's yield of 513.6 could also be written as 513,600,000 lbs.
- According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), copper is mined in only a handful of states. Arizona produced 71% of all domestic copper in 2021. The remaining 29% came from Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and (with minor contributions) Michigan and Missouri.
- Demand for copper, which plays an important role in many green energy technologies, is estimated to grow by 350% by 2050.

Download Table Data

Enter your email below, and you'll receive this table's data in your inbox momentarily.

State
Annual Production (million lbs)
Arizona700
Utah513.6
New Mexico178
Nevada163.7
Montana64

Copper Production by State 2024

Sources