Where is New Hampshire located?

Located in the easternmost part of the United States, New Hampshire is part of the New England Region. The most extreme points of New Hampshire are…

  • Northernmost: near the point where Maine and Quebec meet and New Hampshire ends.
  • Easternmost: the city of Rye, which is home to the Isle of Shoals.
  • Southernmost: border between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, just outside of Dracut, MA.
  • Westernmost: border between New Hampshire and Vermont, right along the Connecticut River.

Elevation Levels: High, Low, and In-Between

The White Mountain State rests at an average elevation of 1,000 feet above sea level across the board. The highest point in all of New Hampshire is 6,288 feet above sea level, found at the very top of Mount Washington in Coös County. Native American tribes call Mount Washington by the name of Agiocochook. Not only is Mount Washington the highest point in the state, but it is also one of the most treacherous parts of New Hampshire in terms of weather. At its lowest point, New Hampshire is directly at sea level. The point at which New Hampshire is lowest can be found along the eastern border where New Hampshire and the Atlantic Ocean collide.

Total Area of New Hampshire

As one of the smallest states in the United States, New Hampshire is only 68 miles wide and 190 miles long. The total area of New Hampshire is a mere 9,351 square miles. Approximately 8,969 square miles of land make up the entire state, while the other 382 square miles are water areas. In similar words, about 95.9% of New Hampshire is land and the other 4.1% is comprised of water.

Population and Density

The population of New Hampshire is 1,350,575 people, as documented by the Census Bureau in 2018. Based on population, New Hampshire ranks as the forty-first most populous state, though it might make more sense to label it as the ninth smallest. New Hampshire’s total area does not contribute to its smaller population size, though that is a logical assumption.

There are not any major cities in New Hampshire, at least not to the level of New York City or Los Angeles. However, New Hampshire is one of the most densely populated states. Over one million people live within a state of less than 10,000 square miles. The population density of the Granite State is about 147 people per square mile, ranking New Hampshire as the twenty-first most populous states in the U.S.

State Name
New Hampshire
24,214 km2
Area Ranking
Statehood Year
Postal Abbreviation

New Hampshire Belongs to the Northeast U.S. Census Region