Where is Texas located?

Texas, more commonly referred to as the Lone Star State, is one of the largest states in the U.S.A. With a length of 790 miles and a width of 773 miles, the Texan borders encompass approximately 268,581 square miles. Of this total area, about 97.5% of the mileage is land-based, with the remaining 2.5% taken up by water. This percentage is due to the extensiveness of Texan waterways. There are approximately thirty-five major rivers in Texas, as well as fifty-four minor waterways.

Geographic Location of Texas

Texas is a southern state with vast prominence in the United States. As the second largest state in the country based on area alone, the southernmost border of Texas lies along the dividing line between Mexico and the United States. The geographic coordinates of Texas are 31.9686° N and 99.9018° W.

Population Density of Texas

Texas is home to an estimated number of 28,304,596 people. The population density of a specified area is a way of comparing population to total area. Remember that the total area is 286,581 square miles. When it comes to Texas, there are about 108 people per square mile of land. This calculation places Texas at number twenty-six on the scale of largest population density in the United States.

Elevation Levels in Texas

The average elevation of Texas is estimated to be 1,700 square feet greater than sea level. Guadalupe Peak is 8,751 feet above sea level, marking the highest point in all of Texas. The lowest point of elevation is the Gulf of Mexico. When a state is level to a body of water, it is measured as being 0 feet above sea level.

Most Extreme Directions of the Lone Star State

Extreme parts of a state designate the furthest point the state extends to in each of the cardinal directions. When it comes to Texas, the northernmost point is the northern border shared by Texas and Oklahoma. To the east, Texas stretches as far as the Sabine River at its point with coordinates of 31.031078° N and 93.507969° W. The southernmost point is located along the Rio Grande, near Brownsville. The coordinates of the most southern part of Texas are 25.837022° N and 97.394150° W. If you travel 0.6 miles west of the Rio Grande, you would discover the westernmost part of Texas in El Paso County, which is located at coordinates of 31.895619° N and 106.645657° W.

State Name
695,662 km2
Area Ranking
Statehood Year
America/Chicago, America/Denver
Postal Abbreviation

Where is Texas located?

Texas Belongs to the South U.S. Census Region