North Las Vegas is a city in Clark County, Nevada located in the Las Vegas Valley. North Las Vegas is located in the Las Vegas metropolitan statistical area (MSA). It was incorporated on May 16, 1946.
North Las Vegas Diversity and Language
60.27% of residents speak only English, while 39.73% of residents also speak other languages. Of those who speak non-English, the largest group is Spanish, spoken by 33.58% of the population.
North Las Vegas Population Growth
North Las Vegas’s population growth shared the rapid growth of Las Vegas and its surrounding metropolitan area. The population in 1950 was 3,875 and grew 375.4% to 18,422 in 1960, and then grew again by 96.6% to 36,216 in 1970. The population’s second-largest jump was from 1990 to 2000 following the government’s land expansion efforts, when the population grew 142.1% to 115,488 people.
North Las Vegas was first settled in 1919 by a settler named Thomas L. Williams. The area’s well water supply attracted others to the city, which was informally called “Vegas Verde,” meaning, “green meadows” in Spanish. While a post office was opened under the name Vegas Verde in 1932, the city was renamed North Las Vegas later that year.
In 1941, a United States Army Air Corps gunnery school opened in the desert near North Las Vegas. After World War II, this school became the Nellis Air Force Base, which is one of North Leas Vegas’s largest employers today.
The city of North Las Vegas was incorporated on May 16, 1949.
During the 1990s, the city’s government made efforts to expand North Las Vegas and annexed approximately 60 square miles of land in the surrounding desert. Between 1990 and 2000, the population increased from 47,707 to 115,488, a 142.1% increase.