The National Hockey League (NHL) is a professional ice hockey league in Canada and the United States. The NHL was founded in 1917 in Montreal, Canada, and its headquarters are currently in New York City in the United States.
The Stanley Cup is awarded annually to the playoff championship team at the end of the season. The Stanley Cup is the oldest existing trophy to be awarded in professional sports. The Montreal Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup the most number of times with 23 wins.
At the inception of the NHL, there were only four teams all in Canada. The Boston Bruins joined as the first American team in 1924. From 1942-1967, there were six teams total in the NHL, called the “Original Six.” These teams are the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, and New York Rangers.
Today, the NHL is comprised of 31 teams, 24 in the United States and 7 in Canada. There are two conferences: the Eastern Conference and Western Conference. The Eastern Conference has the Atlantic Division and Metropolitan Division, and the Western Conference has the Central Division and the Pacific Division.
Below is a list of NHL teams by state (including Canadian teams) with their conference and division.
- Arizona Coyotes (Western Pacific)
- Vancouver Canucks (Western Pacific)
- Anaheim Ducks (Western Pacific)
- Los Angeles Kings (Western Pacific)
- San Jose Sharks (Western Pacific)
- Colorado Avalanche (Western Central)
- Florida Panthers (Eastern Atlantic)
- Tampa Bay Lightning (Eastern Atlantic)
- Chicago Blackhawks (Western Central)
- Winnipeg Jets (Western Central)
- Boston Bruins (Eastern Atlantic)
- Detroit Red Wings (Eastern Atlantic)
- Minnesota Wild (Western Central)
- St. Louis Blues (Western Central)
- Vegas Golden Knights (Western Pacific)
- New Jersey Devils (Eastern Metropolitan)
- Buffalo Sabres (Eastern Atlantic)
- New York Islanders (Eastern Metropolitan)
- New York Rangers (Eastern Metropolitan)
- Carolina Hurricanes (Eastern Matropolitan)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (Eastern Metropolitan)
- Ottawa Senators (Eastern Atlantic)
- Toronto Maple Leafs (Eastern Atlantic)
- Philadelphia Flyers (Eastern Metropolitan)
- Pittsburgh Penguins (Eastern Metropolitan)
- Montreal Canadiens (Eastern Atlantic)
- Nashville Predators (Western Central)
- Dallas Stars (Western Central)
- Washington Capitals (Eastern Metropolitan)