What are the largest countries in Africa? Here is a list of the top ten largest countries in square miles:
- Algeria (919,352 square miles)
- Democratic Republic of Congo (905,115 square miles)
- Sudan (728,022 square miles)
- Libya (679,192 square miles)
- Chad (495,624 square miles)
- Niger (489,062 square miles)
- Angola (481,226 square miles)
- Mali (478,714 square miles)
- South Africa (47,320 square miles)
- Ethiopia (426, 260 square miles)
Africa’s total area is 30.3 million km² (11.7 million mi²) split across 54 countries.
The largest country in Africa is Algeria, which spans over 2,381,741 km² (919,352 mi²) and has a population of over 43 million people. It is also the tenth largest country in the world. Algeria is located in Northern Africa with a Mediterranean coastline and a Saharan desert interior.
The smallest country in Africa is Mayotte, located in the Indian Ocean. Mayotte is 374 km² (144 mi²) and has a population of 267,104 people.