Major League Baseball (MLB) is a professional baseball organization with a total of 30 teams in the United States and Canada. Established in 1903, the MLB is the oldest major professional sports league in the US and Canada.
The 30 teams are divided evenly into two leagues: the National League (NL) and the American League (AL). Each league is divided into three divisions, East, Central and West, five teams in each division. 29 teams are in the United States, and 1 is in Canada. Additionally, there are 256 Minor League Baseball teams, each affiliated with Major League clubs.
A regular season for an MLB team is 162 games, and five teams in each league advance to a four-round playoff tournament that leads to a best-of-seven championship called the World Series. The New York Yankees have won the most World Series championships, appearing 40 times and winning 27 titles.
In 2018, the MLB has the highest season attendance of any sports in the world with more that 69.6 million spectators.
California currently has the highest number of MLB teams, with a total of five. Many states do no have an MLB team.
Below is a list of MLB teams by state, including their league and division:
- Arizona Diamondbacks (NL West)
- Los Angeles Angels (AL West)
- Oakland Athletics (AL West)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (NL West)
- San Diego Padres (NL West)
- San Francisco Giants (NL West)
- Colorado Rockies (NL West)
District of Columbia
- Washington Nationals (NL East)
- Tampa Bay Rays (AL East)
- Miami Marlins (NL East)
- Atlanta Braves (NL East)
- Chicago Cubs (NL Central)
- Chicago White Sox (AL Central)
- Baltimore Orioles (AL East)
- Boston Red Sox (AL East)
- Detroit Tigers (AL Central)
- Minnesota Twins (AL Central)
- Kansas City Royals (AL Central)
- St. Louis Cardinals (NL Central)
- New York Mets (NL East)
- New York Yankees (AL East)
- Cincinnati Reds (NL Central)
- Cleveland Indians (AL Central)
- Toronto Blue Jays (AL East)
- Philadelphia Phillies (NL East)
- Pittsburgh Pirates (NL Central)
- Houston Astros (AL West)
- Texas Rangers (AL West)
- Seattle Mariners (AL West)
- Milwaukee Brewers (NL Central)