Map Options

Color Scheme:
map placeholder
Home Ownership Rate

20

30

40

50

60

70

80

90

100

Click on a country for details.

Home Ownership by Country 2024

Country
Home Ownership Rate
Laos95.9%
Romania95.3%
Kazakhstan95%
Slovakia92.9%
Hungary91.7%
Croatia90.5%
Vietnam90%
Cuba90%
North Macedonia90%
China89.68%

1. Romania

Romania has the highest homeownership rate in the world. In the most recent study conducted in 2019, nearly 96.1% of all buildings in a residential area were owned, leaving just 3.9% of the residential area open to renters.

2. Laos

Surprisingly, Laos has one of the highest homeownership rates in the world. In a 2015 study, researchers found that 95.9% of the residential buildings were owned by the occupant in a measured residential area, leaving only 4.1% of the facilities available to citizens renting their dwellings.

3. Hungary

A second European country, Hungary, has some of the highest homeownership rates in the world. In 2020, researchers measured a 91.3% homeownership rate in residential areas. This statistic leaves only 8.7% of residential units to renters.

4. Slovakia

This eastern European country is home to some of the highest homeownership rates in the world. The most recent study, conducted in 2019, found that the occupants owned 90.9% of all the buildings in a designated residential area. Only 9.1% of the buildings were inhabited by people renting the property.

5. Lithuania

In 2019, scientists conducted a survey to determine the homeownership rate in this European country. The occupants owned nearly 90.3% of the residential buildings within the measured area. This statistical data means that 9.7% of the buildings were designated rentals.

6. Cuba

In Cuba, the most recent study on homeownership was conducted in 2014. Statistics show that in the residential areas measured, 90% of the buildings were inhabited by the property owners. This statistic means that renters occupied only 10% of the properties in the residential area.

7. Vietnam

In the 2020 survey, 90% of the buildings in the studied area of Vietnam were inhabited by the owners. This data ties Vietnam with Cuba as the 7th highest homeownership country globally.

8. Croatia

Coming in at 89.7%, Croatia has some of the highest homeownership rates in Europe. In the residential areas studied, scientists found that the property owners occupied nearly 90% of the residential buildings.

Where Does Home Ownership Stem From?

Homeownership does not always have to come from a traditional purchase or sale of a residential building. In many countries, homeownership has been defined as a newly constructed building with the builders' intent to occupy the dwelling. In most homeownership studies, the residential dwelling was inherited from other family members, allowing homeownership to stem from one generation to the next in a designated residential area.

Download Table Data

Enter your email below, and you'll receive this table's data in your inbox momentarily.

Country
Home Ownership Rate
Date of Information
Laos95.9%2015
Romania95.3%2021
Kazakhstan95%2018
Slovakia92.9%2021
Hungary91.7%2021
Croatia90.5%2021
Vietnam90%2020
Cuba90%2014
North Macedonia90%2016
China89.68%2018
Serbia89.4%2021
Russia89%2018
Lithuania89%2021
Singapore87.9%2020
Poland86.8%2021
India86.6%2011
Myanmar85.5%2014
Nepal85%2011
Bulgaria85%2022
Indonesia84%2019
Taiwan83.9%2010
Latvia83.1%2022
Oman83%2014
Estonia82%2022
Malta81.9%2021
Norway80.3%2019
Mexico80%2009
Thailand80%2002
Czech Republic78.3%2021
Portugal78.3%2021
Malaysia76.9%2019
Slovenia76.1%2021
Egypt76%2019
Spain76%2022
Trinidad and Tobago76%2013
Kenya75%2019
Italy73.7%2021
Iceland73.6%2018
Greece73.3%2021
Brazil72.5%2019
Belgium72.5%2022
Luxembourg71.1%2021
Netherlands70.6%2022
Ireland70%2021
Cyprus69.8%2021
South Africa69.7%2021
Finland69.5%2022
Argentina68.9%2017
Canada66.5%2021
Australia66.3%2020
United States65.9%2022
Brunei65%2019
Sweden64.9%2021
France64.7%2021
Israel64.6%2019
New Zealand64.5%2018
United Kingdom63%2018
Saudi Arabia62.08%2019
Iran60.5%2017
Denmark59.2%2021
Turkey57.5%2021
South Korea57.3%2021
Japan55.04%2021
Austria51.4%2022
Germany49.1%2021
Switzerland42.2%2021
United Arab Emirates28%2017
Nigeria25%2019
Hong Kong22.1%2021
showing: 69 rows

Which country has the highest percentage of home ownership?

In Romania, over 96% of the buildings in a residential area are owned and only 4% are available to renters, which makes Romania the country with the highest percentage of home ownership.

Frequently Asked Questions

Sources